Saturday, June 20, 2009

What I learned from my father about empathy

I sit here writing this on the day before Father's Day.

My dad is going to be 91 this fall and I'm grateful for every day that I have with him.

The older I get, the smarter and wiser my father seems to me--and I've always thought he was damn smart to begin with.

My father is a psychoanalyst and he's still seeing patients. He tells me that he's going to keep on working until he needs more help than they do. I'm sure the people that come to see him hope that doesn't happen for some time.

He told me something once about his practice that has really stayed with me. He said that he can identify with all of the emotions, issues and problems that his clients have brought to his office--except one. He can't understand why anyone could be bored. Dad is a voracious reader and learner so having nothing to do is something he just can't relate to.

His ability to connect with his patients is one of the things that make him a terrific therapist. That power of empathy is something we all need to develop, no matter what line of work we are in.

In my own career, as a communications consultant, I'm always telling my clients that whatever message they are sending, they need to keep the recipient in mind. If you understand how your customers, clients and employees think and feel, you will dramatically increase your chances of being successful

This applies to other parts of one's life. Michael Eisner, the former chairman of Disney said that people have it wrong when they say that your ability to say your sorry is they key to a successful relationship. Rather, he says, your understanding of where your spouse or partner is coming from is really the gold in a valued personal connection.

So Dad, thanks for your wisdom, your kindness, your love and most importantly for being there for me.

No comments: